Sunday, September 03, 2006

Step by step

Work has been getting in the way of blogging and I don't like it!

In the first place I have been so damn busy that I have barely had time to look at blogs, let alone write any posts. AND, they have just updated our security software on our server and it won't let me into any blog sites whatsoever! So the only time available to me is late at night when all of my school work is finished and I'm mostly way too tired to stay focused on a computer screen for too long.

I suppose this is my apology for my absence lately. I have however, through necessity, decided that I need to focus on work for the moment to get it back on track again before my next cycle. Because we all know how off track it's easy to become during cycle time ...

And I met with my suprevisors at uni on Thursday and I have a plan which means I still may very well be able to submit my thesis next year and then be able to finish this PhD and (hopefully) enjoy my pregnancy / baby with it out of the way and a really cool title on all of my mail. It's the time I really need to write (I suppose if I spent as much time on it as I do my blog it would have been finished months ago!). I have gathered all of my data,interviewed my staff and colleaugues, refined my theoretical framework ... I just have to do it ( yeah right - it's just that simple:)).

So, the 20th is fast approaching. I will have some new answers and we might even be ready to start a new cycle once again. I will do everything I can to give this one the best possible chance. And I'll keep planting and planning my garden (just in case).

Yesterday, I had my hair cut. I have been growing it for quite a while now and it was down past my shoulder blades. And I was bored, bored, bored! So I told my hairdresser that I was ready for something new and now it's sitting on top of my shoulders in sharp layers with a long, sweeping, side fringe. I also had some highlights added and I feel like a new person. Literally - I don't look like myself anymore. I look like someone much younger and funkier than me and needed to go out and buy 3 new dresses to match that person. I don't mind her. She smiles more and she looks like she likes herself. I hope she stays.

And now I just need to convince my ovaries that they belong to this younger, funkier chick in the mirror.

10 Comments:

At 11:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know what? YAYA you!! v v happy for you that your hearting your new look, and shopping mmmmmmmmm shopping I may just have to go out and get a couple of dresses .... (it's a childish jealousy thing if you got some I want some)wishing you great success with your study/work and it goes without saying that I'm keeping everything crossed for this next cycle too. oh and before I ping off and haunt another blog..... once again YAYA you you even type/sound happier and that is just brilliant to see/hear

 
At 5:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, your hair and attitude sounds fab (and don't I sound cool using fab instead of fabulous- you're inspiring me to shave a few years off my tarnish too) :)
PhD plans sound excellent. Dr.StellaNova sounds nice!

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger Bea said...

I got a new haircut and some highlights too! So are you telling me I need to buy new clothes to back it up? Well, I guess if it has to be done...

I also got more layers and what my hairdresser described at the time as a "rock chick" fringe, but it must be in the styling, because I can only get it to be a "cute" fringe, which is ok, but obviously not very edgy.

I hope that PhD grabs hold of you and doesn't let go til you've finished it all off - just in time for your next (and obviously sucessful) cycle. Now that's a fairytale I'd like to see played out.

Bea

 
At 8:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new hair sounds great ! I got a new do too, it always makes you feel so good. One thing I hate though it never looks the same as what it does when you walk out of the salon.

I hope the 20th gets here quickly for you.

 
At 10:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Stella! A new haircut always does wonders for your mood. And who knows, maybe your ovaries WILL get to feeling all young and hip too. (Hey, maybe I'LL try that!)

Good luck on getting that thesis out of the way! If you need me to post more griping about VB and HIS neverending paper to motive you, just let me know. ;-) As Bea said above, how cool would it be to finish the paper and start a baby at the same time? I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Finally, thanks for your kind comment a few days ago. I was in a very bad headspace and it really helped.

 
At 1:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new do and new dresses! I think you also need some new shoes to go with the new look, that is right, another excuse to shop! It is good to hear your upbeat tone.

 
At 5:24 am, Blogger Emmie said...

There's really nothing like a cool haircut to make you feel like a new person--yours sounds great!

Good luck with the thesis work! I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to finish mine this year, and everytime I sit down to write I end up blogging instead.

 
At 7:31 pm, Blogger Meg said...

Stell - Damn the security system at school. Mine lets me read but not comment. It is very frustrating... I would so love to use a bit of my spare time (I have spare time - yes, due to the fact that i am a complete shameful slacker right now)catching up with a few blogs.

You sound really well; that's great. Good luck on getting the thesis moving. It's a huge deal and I'm very impressed that you've manged to keep it up while holding down a job.

Good luck getting things sorted; I did a bit of that before my cycle too, thank god.

Love to you. xx

 
At 10:34 pm, Blogger snowhite said...

Hey Stella,

You've just motivated me to go and get a chop mysef (not that my hair is long, but there will be something to cut).

Life gets MUCH better once the thesis is in (I am one of theose people who took ages to write up). It was such a relief handing the bloody thing in. And, 'Dr' is 'Dr' - nurses will never know if you are a medico or not (and they might just try to be that much nicer to you ;)

 
At 5:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear StellaNova, I've had a similar problem with work lately, so I've dropped off the radar a bit too.

Best of luck with your thesis -- may it flow once you get started, and go much quicker than you think.

And congrats on your haircut! I've got an appointment for tomorrow, and now you've got me thinking...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home