Sunday, August 13, 2006

To self-medicate or not ...?

Well, I'm still feeling no different ... yesterday I kind of thought I was, but today, really nothing more than tired. I had a shocking sleep - I woke up about 10 times - so tired isn't a very surprising state of affairs. Yesterday, my boobs felt slightly bigger, perhaps a little tender, and a 'tight' feeling low down in my abdomen. Although I think I was just trying to convince myself as today the only reason my boobs are sore is because I've been squeezing them so much!!

AB and I spent all day in the garden. We removed a really ugly fence that separates our backyard from the bushland next door and installed some lattice which, while not necessarily more beautiful, allows us to see through to the park and will eventually be covered with the jasmine I have planted along the base. I went to the garden centre and bought loads of gorgeous plants and created a garden along the fence which should look great by the time summer arrives in a few months. My colour scheme is purple, various shades of pink, red and white. This is the 'before' photo, by the way ... I'll post an 'after' when it's looking beautiful.

But now I'm worried I've overdone it in the 'no heavy lifting' and 'taking it easy' departments. It was just such a beautiful winter day I had to get outside and do something. I have been a little bored with so much couch dwelling.

Could I really ruin everything with a day in the garden? I didn't lift anything too heavy - just a few pots and some digging. But I didn't stop all day.

It's so easy to be paranoid.

But, here's the real problem for today ...

Tomorrow, I am due to have the last 2 squirts of Crinone. I have in my possession, however, enough to keep going until next Sunday. They gave me 2 boxes of 15 but have given me instructions to only use them for 9 days. Now, I'm kind of confused about this. Why would they want me to stop? Isn't the purpose of this to provide for me what my body has been unable to produce successfully on it's own? Doesn't my embryo still need it after tomorrow (that's assuming, of course, it's still there)? I hear of so many of you continuing with progesterone until the pregnancy is well and truly established. Is there a valid reason to stop now?

So, my question is, should I keep using it, even though I am not really meant to? I want to give this as much chance as it could have ... could this possibly help? Could it possibly hurt?

It's like a security blanket that I'm not quite ready to give up yet. And I've got the choice this cycle. I've got the drugs!!!!

I could email Dr Challenge and ask him ... but I might not like his answer. And they would know about it with the blood test on Friday if I went alone with my self-medication. Although after Friday, I'll have an answer.

But really, what harm could it do?

Thoughts, anyone ...

13 Comments:

At 11:56 pm, Blogger Kris said...

Er.... I don't know what to tell you. I've always been told to stay on the progesterone till at least the beta, and if it's positive, I know I'll continue on it for several weeks. If you did self medicate, I don't think they would be able to tell that you were self medicating by your blood work. I take the suppostories and they don't show up in the blood because they are not systemic. I freaked at what I thought were really low progesterone levels until my nurse explained that. But at some point you'd have to tell them...

I would call tomorrow and double check and express your concerns about stopping before the beta. They might just tell you to continue, on the "it doesn't hurt" theory. If they don't I'd ask for a detailed reason why--- and then share it with us, of course!

Good luck.

 
At 12:38 am, Blogger Thalia said...

I'm in the "it can't hurt" camp, and who caees if they find out. I've seen several articles that show there is no diff in live birth rate w stopping progesterone early, so that's prob what your clinix is going on. No harm in either callimng them to check, or just self-medicating.

 
At 12:57 am, Blogger ellie said...

I think I was suppose to be on it for 14 days when I was doing the ivf. I sometimes wonder if they choose random numbers -- I'd say call and ask- I tend to ask the nurse or physician assts. as they give me more real life answers. Chances are another few days won't hurt anything.

 
At 5:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for it. A little extra can't hurt, so that's the main thing. If you were going to do some damage with taking it then maybe- but I'm a big believer in self medication! I always up my fsh by a few iu, I just don't tell WonderDoc. What he doesn't know won't hurt him!
And btw don't worry about the heavy lifting, most people would have absolutely no idea right now that they are pregnant, and do all sorts of stuff- a day in the garden certainly won't hurt you at all! Bet the garden looks awesome!

 
At 6:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, My name is Lassie and I'm a self-medicator.

I've upped my follistim, downed my Lupron, stopped my prometrium and extended my crinone. I think it wold be fine if you added a few extra days of crinone. During my ivfs I took crinone and oral p4 until the beta, 15dpo. In my opinion, it couldn't hurt to extend it.

As far as the over-exertion, I don't think you should be worried. Someone explained implanatation as if the embryo was a grain of rice embedded in a peanutbutter sandwich. No amount of lifting is going to impact it's position.

Your before picture looks so peaceful, can't wait to see the after. I'll be extra jealous because our summer is winding down now and I think we'll be well into fall/winter by the time your summer is here.

 
At 6:45 am, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I don't know anything about this drug, so I can't help you. Your garden looks so nice. This 2ww is the pits isn't it? I am analyzing everything, and so far nothing is really that different. Hang in there. Hugs!

 
At 8:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would tend to agree with Kris' advice. I've literally had a doc say to me that there's no such thing as too much progesterone in early pregnancy and while I was only on suppositories at the time, he said (and I quote) "it can't hurt." For whatever that's worth. Good luck.

 
At 10:11 am, Blogger Bea said...

FS said to me the first cycle that it was probably neither here nor there whether I took them, but having said that here's fifteen days' worth, come back when you're finished. Which didn't make sense to me, but I've been in quite a "do what I'm told" mood lately. Now I'm coming in to a "fuck the drugs they suck" mood, so a bit confused really...

I guess 9dp5dt should be well and truly enough time for implantation, and then the body should take over from there. So you shouldn't *need* it. Maybe. I don't know.

Bea

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger S said...

I took Crinone with my first IVF cycle. My old RE told me that P4 that is ingested directly into the uterus (ie. suppositories/Crinone) can't be measured in bloodwork as accurately as PIO shots. That being said, I really don't think that it would hurt to continue. I had a 5 day transfer last year, and had to continue the baby bullets for the full 14 days, regardless.

I'd call the clinic to make sure that they didn't screw up the instructions. If they insist that you're supposed to stop, do what you think is best-and if that means continuing, then they'll just have to deal.

Happy squirting! Hope that this week doesn't suck too much for you-I hate waiting too....

 
At 3:34 pm, Blogger Pixxiee said...

That garden is just going to look so pretty - what a lovely outlook you'll have. And you know - I am sure you did no harm at all by being outside and doing some work. Once a baby is implanted, it's pretty tough to shift them from what I hear.

As for the progesterone - I am on suppositories and have to keep using them right thru to my beta...and beyond if it is positive. I'd totally check it with the clinic.

You find out a couple of days before I do, so I'll be watching your blog and thinking really good thoughts for you. And if the dog eats the sprinklers again, train him to stand out in the yard with a hose!

Hugs
Paula

 
At 7:40 pm, Blogger Meg said...

Yeah, it can't hurt, Stell, can it?

Your garden and house look lovely, by the way.

 
At 8:28 pm, Blogger Lyrehca said...

Hi--this is my first go-round with the crinone downstairs, but if you have them and it's easy enough to do, why not continue? Sounds like it can't hurt. (And wow, self-medicators on IVF. Upping FSH amounts? I'm in awe of some of these women. Did it increase anyone's success rates?)

 
At 3:41 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try not to worry too much about the lack of symptoms (easier said than done I know)each pregnancy is different some people have loads of symptoms while others have none.
Hope you get that positive beta.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home