Friday, September 22, 2006

The Endometriosis Merry-go-Round

So it's back. All over the place, apparently. Enough to warrant further surgery for it's removal. So I have to go in again. Endometriosis is such fun ... or maybe I am, that's why it wants to stay.

But my uterine cavity is 'pristine', as always!

Dr Challenge spoke to me straight after the surgery (I'm actually surprised at how much I remember of this conversation given my heavily doped-up state). He said he wouldn't be able to fit me in again for about 5 weeks. I said (impressing myself in hindsight) 'that's not good enough - I can't kep waiting all this time - and I'm about to have school holidays I can take advantage of for recovery'. He said he would look into it - he had a day next week but it was full - but he'd see if he could postpone anyone to fit me in.

Now, I'm not exactly certain that I will draw the lucky straw on this one, but I'm certainly going to push for it. I can't keep having huge blocks of time off work, even though I have the days (weeks) available. It's too damaging to my professional status (and I need to have something to hold onto) and I really want to save my absences for IVF cycles.

So, I emailed him a reminder and I am going to phone him again soon. You've just got to become pushy in this game otherwise I'll be waiting again until next year and I CAN'T DO THAT! As it is, he will want to put me on Zoladex for one month following surgery and head straight into another cycle (any thoughts from anyone out there who has taken this for endo?). That's November. That's when Mrs Precious is due. Then December. That's when I would have been due. I can't have inaction until then - I need to be pushing forward.

It's in my ovaries again too. Removing that inevitably removes ovarian tissue - and potential follicles. I hate this shit. But if I don't treat it I'll never get anywhere. And that's somewhere I can't even consider.

But the thing that shits me most is, why does it return? What am I doing wrong to invite it back? Why can't it just be gone for good?

I have been dizzy and shaky all morning. I don't know whether it's the after effects of the anaesthetic, the painkillers, or the huge sleep I had last night. I have been doing a great deal of couch dwelling today, although the day is beautiful outside and I think I'll go and be dizzy out there. It's going to be 30 degrees today (that's VERY hot for a September day).

I'll update again after I have spoken to Dr Challenge.

9 Comments:

At 12:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh crap- I just hope he pulls out his magic wand and fits you in. I know the feeling about having to push forward; good on you for telling him how it is!

 
At 3:39 pm, Blogger noela said...

Argh!! I really hope he can fit you in sooner. FIVE weeks?!!? That is crazy.

Good for you though on advocating on your own behalf, and not just accepting what was given to you!! I very much endorse that type of patient behaviour, as I know from my own experience that nothing would ever get done if I didn't push hard for it.

Sucks, sucks, SUCKS about the Endo returning again and again. That is so frustrating for you. I have no personal experience with Endo, so I'm guessing there is absolutely no "foolproof" cure for it, is there?

Well, I will be here, cheering you on in the background and wishing for the very best.

Take care,
Nilla

 
At 4:44 pm, Blogger Bea said...

Hoping things can get done sooner. I'll be wishing on a star for you.

Bea

 
At 4:59 pm, Blogger ColourYourWorld said...

Darn waiting ! I hope you can start earlier or at least the time flies for you.

All the best.

 
At 1:01 am, Blogger Serenity said...

Keep pushing to have him fit you in. I will be hoping for you.

And Stella? The recurrence of endo is NOT your fault.

Hugs and love to you.

 
At 7:07 pm, Blogger Thalia said...

Stella I'm sorry, but endo comes back, that's what it does. Any dose of estrogen in your body is enough to get it going. And trying to conceive means letting your estrogen rise. It totally totally sucks.

The zoladex is a good thing. It has shown some great results in 'resetting' the endometrium to make implantation more likely (if you go to pubmed you'll find some articles on this - or let me know and I'll find them for you). The problem will be that it suppresses you but good, so it may be harder to stim and you'll need higher doses of FSH or longer to stim. I have not had bad side effects from zoladex so long as I look after myself - get enough sleep and drink enough water. If I don't I get migraines.

Good luck with your advocating. I recommend crying down the phone to his asst if this doesn't work.

 
At 3:01 am, Blogger Kris said...

Sorry about the resurgence of the endo--- and a 5 week wait? That's insane! Keep pushing and good luck.

 
At 12:07 am, Blogger Courtney said...

Ugh! I hope he gets you in soon. Keep pestering him. He's got to do something. I hope things start turning better for you. Good luck!

 
At 3:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear the endo is back. That really sucks. I hate endo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home