Thursday, October 12, 2006

Keep pushing

I think I have become rather pushy lately! Last week, during my post-op appointment with Dr Challenge, I discovered that he wasn't going to be around for the day of my proposed egg pick-up, but would be back the next day. Now, he suggested this one in the first place, but he said that he could possibly schedule me for a really early morning pick-up before he went to another hospital for his all-day list of surgery with Dr Charming (the day I would have been waiting for if I had not pushed for earlier surgery in the first place).

I think it sounded like a damn fine idea. One less day off work ... I can even just phone in sick and so won't have to tell them anything ... no need for an extra week on suppression ... no hanging around all morning waiting for others ahead of me ... time to go home and watch the latest batch of movies I have just bought. Perfect all round really.

When I told the clinic nurses, however, of this plan, they were VERY negative and even a little bit cranky at Dr Challenge.

"Well, he can't just make plans like that - there might not be a theatre available".
"Oh" ... deflated ... "he said it would be very early"
"But there might be no one else available at that time to assist".
"Right" ...
"He will have to look into it himself. He is never in on a Thursday - they won't be expecting him".
"But it might work, mightn't it?"
"Unlikely - you will just have to stay on the Lucrin for another week".
"Right" ...
"We'll call him and sort this out".

The end of the phone call left me in no doubt as to what they would be 'sorting out'. Get that Dr Challenge back into his place and tell him when it can happen, not the other way around.

So I sent him an email ... hoping that the Thursday morning would work out, telling him why it suited me better ... telling him I don't want to keep waiting any more ... telling him that he needs to look into it so that we can time the start of my stims appropriately.

His return email was a bit reluctant ... possibly regretting that he had suggested it in the first place ... realising what a big day he had set up for himself. So I was compliant. I understood. I told him I would just have to live with it. It's OK, I said. Whatever suits you best.

And then he replied this morning. Thursday will be fine. Dr Charming doesn't ususally arrive at the other hospital until 8.30am, and we will do our bit before that. I'm not sure what's happening with assistants etc. I'm sure he's covered that. And I replied, can you let Negative Nurses know ... they won't believe me?

Now I know it could all still change again, although after Saturday, if I start stims, it can't. That means EPU will be 26th October rather than the 1st November. Not a big wait, I know. After all the waiting I have done, what's another few days, but I just ned to feel some control. My last 2 cycles were extended by a week and they didn't work (not for long, anyway) - I want this one to be different. I wonder if that is something which has made the difference. And I want less time off work.

But now, it's my sister's birthday today. She will be 36 and we are going out for lunch. I need to finish wrapping her present and get ready. We will be sitting by the water and it's a beautiful spring day ... I think I'm going to have a good day.

7 Comments:

At 8:59 pm, Blogger Bea said...

Well, I'm just glad it's getting done. A week can be a lifetime. Enjoy the birthday...

Bea

 
At 2:15 am, Blogger Hopeful Mother said...

Enjoy your get-together with your sister.

I'm glad you are pushing - I hope it makes all the difference this cycle.

 
At 9:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound empowered, and that is such a rare glory in our infertile world, enjoy.

I hope you enjoyed your beautiful spring day. We had the first snow of the season in Chicago today. It's a month early and we 20 degrees below normal.
Glad the grass is greener on the other side of the world :)

 
At 10:28 am, Blogger Kris said...

Like they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Good for you for being pushy. I hope it all works out for you.

 
At 12:12 pm, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

Good for you for advocating for yourself. I hope that all goes well with your retrieval.

 
At 5:35 pm, Blogger noela said...

Hey, I'm all for being pushy and forthright with doctors!! Really, if one didn't, we'd never get ahead!!

Glad it is coming together for you finally.

Hope you had a fun day with your sister!

Take care,
N

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Sparkle said...

Actually being pushy from time to time can pay dividends.

So can being snarky - I remember when I was being quite contrary with the nurses about having a review with my doc., prompted them to advise me they ran a free clinic!

Is this a flare cycle?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home