Monday, July 03, 2006

Tagged, Part 2

But first, a tribute to my big, brave, generous, furry baby (that's him with the black collar - he's bit of goof, really).

Yesterday, we had my family over for my youngest sister's 33rd birthday. It was a perfect, sunny, cool winter's day and after lunch the boys (from my 8-year-old nephew up to my 62-year-old Dad) went to the park next door to play football. We are lucky enough to live next to a great park which has lovely bushland in the corner near our back door and kitchen window and a couple of acres of grass with a children's playground at the other end. It was one of the great attractions when we bought this house. Our two Weimaraners were with them, runing around them and chasing the ball and generally having a great time.

At about 3pm, the phone rang - it was our vet, requesting Rueben (our big goofy boy) to be blood donor for a Great Dane who had lost a lot of blood from a ruptured stomach tumour. Of course we said yes (this vet really looks after us, and all of his patients, with love and extreme competence). Poor Rueben. Running free with Luna and the boys, then drugged and bled and returned to us about 5 hours later, staggering and flopping and really not sure just what happened. But we were proud of him, even if he didn't have much choice in the matter!

And now, to Part 2.

Seven things I can't do:

  1. Eat cows. When I was 17 I made a choice to become vegetarian. I was partly influenced by my Dad's 3rd heart attack and subesequent triple by-pass operation and my growing repulsion at the thought of eating previously living, breathing creatures. Over time, I relaxed some of my rigid rules and began eating fish and seafood about 10 years ago on the advice of a naturopath and dietician. Two years ago, AdventureBoy convinced me to try chicken again as he was running out of things to cook for me. I relented and have eaten it about once a fortnight since. But I just can't bring myself to even contemplate a cow.
  2. Sing. Or, at least, sing well. I'm quite capable of singing badly, but have never been able to feel confident about sharing this at any other time than when rather drunk (and when I, of course, think that I'm FAAABULOUS and have just been too hard on myself all these years).
  3. Give up. Ever. My determination used to drive my mother mad when I was a child and I know AB finds it futile to argue against it. This could be learning to ski, achieving a promotion at work, growing my hair or completing a degree. I might 'postpone' on occassion but the thought of defeat and failure is like poison to me and I will go to great lengths to avoid it. My pursuit for a child has become like this. I know I won't rest until we have that baby in our arms and I don't even want to contemplate a future where it doesn't happen.
  4. Have patience with incompetence. I frustrates the hell out of me wherever I find it. In my colleagues, my team, my bosses, my family, shopkeepers, cleaners, cab drivers, tradesmen, friends, AdventureBoy, myself. Harsh - I know! Perfection is hard to find and I torture myself at times seeking it. I know I can't attain it, but I try my best to do so. I'm much harder on myself than on anyone else (really, or I'd have NO friends at all - but I still notice it). Right now, I am VERY impatient with my incompetent reproductive system!
  5. Do the splits. Not anymore, anyway. I used to be very bendy as a kid and was always turning myself inside out and jumping and hanging from trees and cartwheeling and folding myself into small places. I still go to my yoga class once a week, but age (and possibly lack of practice) has stiffened me and I miss my old bendy body. After the first IVF, I have become even more unfit and inactive and have even less hope of getting myself down to the ground.
  6. Read and use HTML. Hence the really boring, standard design of this blog. i am on holidays for the next 2 weeks so, hopefully, that will be one thing I can cross from this list.
  7. Live without the colour red. It is my absolute favourite colour. I surround myself with it and it makes me feel good. I feel comforted and warmed by it's presence. The shade of red I actually like is quite a deep red - not quite burgundy - but a much richer shade of the primary red. I have red walls in my house (not all of them), red rugs, red cushions, a red bedhead, red clothes, red shoes, red handbags, red jewellery (I love garnets and rubies) and my car is red. I know it sounds like a bit of overkill but it is broken up by other colours and, well, I like it that way. When I finally get to re-do the design of this blog, be prepared for a significant use of red!
Well, that's taken another couple of hours to complete. I cooked dinner during that time too of course, but now I'm tired. Thanks for listening. More tomorrow.


By the way, the little girl in that photo is the daughter of the friend who started trying in the same month as we did. She was one in March.

3 Comments:

At 10:48 am, Blogger Mary Ellen and Steve said...

I can't read or use html worth a darn either. Luckily my husband is a geek. I am glad your party went well.

 
At 4:59 pm, Blogger Meg said...

Thanks for sharing more about yourself, Stell. I have always wanted red walls, but alas, the land of renting destroys any possibility of this ever happening. PS. I tried to reply to one of your comments from my email, but it got sent back to me saying it was blocked by bad language.. what the?

 
At 8:45 am, Blogger Kris said...

I am also a fabulous singer when I am drunk. Or in the car by myself.

What a brave pup you have. Warner would have crawled up my butt to avoid going to the vet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home